The following post is from Meghan Veroneau, Marketing Coordinator, MICROS eCommerce
The other day we posted an infographic that detailed the importance of images to your social media content strategy.
We’ve extensively covered Pinterest, an image-sharing platform that’s made waves in the news of late for its exponential popularity growth, but today we’re going to discuss Instagram, a popular image-sharing social network for iPhone and Android that’s become a darling of hotels worldwide. What is it, and is it right for you? Read on to find out:
What is Instagram?
Instagram describes itself as “a fun and quirky way to share your life with friends through a series of pictures. Snap a photo with your mobile phone, then choose a filter to transform the image into a memory to keep around forever.”
Instagram is a mobile application that is available for use on all major mobile platforms. People need to have the application in order to search for photos, or find your profile.
Why is Instagram important?
Instagram currently has 27 million users and is continuing to grow. Instagram’s purchase by Facebook has made the news of late.
Instagram also boasts seamless integration to multiple social platforms. When users take photos, they can automatically appear on Twitter feeds as well as Facebook accounts.
How you can use Instagram
- Visually pleasing content – it’s been mentioned many times that images are important to your content strategy, use Instagram as a fun way to upload new photos of your property.
- Short-burst social engagement – this allows you to take a picture and share it instantly on your social networks, thus, upping your content creation.
- Add filters for personality – this allows you to showcase the essence of your brand in a picture. What vibe are you trying to give to potential guests?
- Join a #hashtag – Instagram has a hashtag system similar to Twitter, which allows you to search for images within the same hashtag. If you’ve set-up Instagram to automatically send pictures to Twitter, the hashtags translate.
- Make simple images beautiful, without professional photo skills – Instagram is an easy (and free!) tool for your staff to use to upload “real time” images. The custom filters, which range from vintage to black and white looks, ensure that camera photos look as if they were taken by a professional.
How to get started with Instagram?
Get the Instagram app! Start snapping pictures, utilizing the filters and sending those pictures to Facebook and Twitter.
This isn’t a platform that requires tons of prep-time or extended content consideration. This can be as simple as snapping a quick picture while you’re walking around your property to a meeting. Utilizing Instagram is an easy and fun way to add to your content strategy. You’ve got nothing to lose by joining in!
Who’s already on Instagram?
Interested in ramping up your online strategy? Check out the full suite of MICROS eCommerce interactive marketing tools, send us an email, or give us a call +1 301.841.4700(US) | +44 (0)20 3004 9468(UK).