The expectation of customers to know exactly what is in their meal is increasing. Regardless of whether you’re serving a professional athlete maintaining a strict diet regime, or a child with a severe peanut allergy, the nutritional information for your menu items is important, and accurate communication of these is imperative for a responsible and successful business.
Consider the consequences of a customer eating a dish in your restaurant after alerting staff to an allergy, and then having an allergic reaction because the information provided was incorrect. The ensuing legal and public criticism of your restaurant could have dire consequences for your business. Simply put, it is just not worth the risk.
What a customer might like to know about their meal:
- Ingredients – meat, seafood, cheese, vegetables, herbs, spices
- Dietary information – fat, cholesterol, calories, carbohydrates
- Allergens – nuts, wheat, soya, shellfish, eggs, milk, gluten, lactose
- Religious considerations – kosher (Jewish), halal (Muslim)
- Meal types – vegetarian, vegan, low-fat, low GI, low carb
- Preparation methods – baked, deep-fried, steamed, boiled
With all the above to consider, how do you ensure staff are giving out the correct information?
The answer is in your MICROS Point-of-Sale (POS) system, which contains special features for communicating nutritional data.
The MICROS e7 POS system allows you to enter free form text files for each menu item. Once a menu item is selected, the operator can view the associated files with the click of a touchscreen button. There is also an option to print this onto a receipt for the customer.
Content and layout is entirely up to you. You may want to include the ingredients list, allergy alerts (if applicable) and nutritional information. You could even go as far as including a recipe card with the preparation description.
The RES Product Management (PM) module has several areas designed to hold menu information in its recipe section. Again, this information can be viewed by the operator and/or printed for the customer. Key areas for data include:
- Nutrient information – define the nutrient content and number of calories in a recipe
- Preparation & serving instructions – free format text area to define a step-by-step preparation and/or serving instructions, which can be used as a recipe card or a guide for staff on how to plate menu items.
- Video clips – can also be added to this area (for staff to view) to show them basic preparation/serving instructions.
Simphony allows for 100 free format text files that can be called up on the POS operations screen.
Regardless of the POS solution you have from MICROS, there is a way to provide this important information to your staff and customers.
For more information on the configuration of these features please consult your help guides, or contact MICROS Support.
Find out more about what MICROS can do for you! For more information contact us at email@example.com Phone: 866.287.4736 (US and Canada)