By: Sophie Talbot
31 things OPERA can do that you might not have known – a holiday gift of tips and tricks from the hotel’s implementations team to all our OPERA users.
- You can do quick entry in date fields – +0 in any date field will bring up today’s date +7 will advance the date a week. ++7 for 7 weeks and +++7 for 7 months – This works in reverse as well just type a – sign in front to move back and forth.
- You can use CTRL+C to copy and CTRL+V to paste in OPERA fields
- If you use OPERA Web Suite (OWS) we have a separate call to pull calendar availability for your website
- OPERA Mobile is available for all hosted and premise customers right now – talk to your sales team
- Keyboard shortcuts in OPERA… Alt+underlined letter (e.g., Search is Alt+S)
- When logging a case there are a couple of things that are super helpful for our team to know – what field are you on? – Use Ctrl+Shift+PageDown at the same time and it’ll tell you exactly what form you are in.
- You can use the OPERA report scheduler to automate the generation of reports and can even configure the system to email them to you automatically.
- The OPERA export module can be an easy way to generate flat file data for import into other programs such as Microsoft Excel or even a back office account system.
- TAB moves you to the next field in OPERA, holding SHIFT and TAB moves you to the previous field.
- Detailed Availability (Control + F2) works in myfidelio as well as OPERA Property Management System (PMS), and is a great way to perform a quick inventory balance.
- For our MICROS myfidelio and Channel Management customers – don’t forget that maximum occupancy information on room type configuration is viewed by Global Distribution Software (GDS) and webHotel.
- You can click and drag on a field to see the guest’s full name. For example: If you are looking at guest name, account, block, etc. on a search screen and the name is “Association of Universities and Colleges of CAD”, you will only see “Association of Universities a”, but click in the name field, hold the left mouse button and pull to the right to see the rest of the information.
- In MICROS Sales & Catering (S&C) you can synchronize your contacts and activities from OPERA to Outlook.
- If a guest hands you cash, you can figure out change by posting the payment for the amount they gave you (ie. $100.00) then the screen shows you the amount due back as a negative value (ie. – $32.57) which can also be posted to bring the folio balance to 0.00
- Quick Keys can be opened from any screen (ie. availability, room plan, etc)
- OPERA Help can be accessed from any screen by clicking F1 and if you have a login to our MICROS website you can see our online release notes – if you don’t see them, contact your account manager.
- webProposal can be used in OPERA Sales & Catering (S&C) as well as in OPERA Property Management System (PMS)
- There are 13 different ways to create a business block in OPERA Property Management System (PMS) and Sales & Catering! – Message us if you want the full list.
- Building relationships between profiles makes production calculation a breeze
- Appointments and meetings (activities) can be send to your email address while you are on the road.
- OPERA’s recently used menu – For many users who are familiar and accustomed to Microsoft products such as Word and Excel, the ‘Recently Used List’ shown under the File toolbar option is a time-saving and often-used feature. This option allows users to quickly access up to 10 of the most recently opened Reservations, Profiles, Blocks and Sales & Catering (S&C) events.
- Under the confirmation option, hovering over the Print and Email box, keyboard controls are displayed (Ctrl+I and Ctrl+T)
- ALT+. will access the profile from the reservation screen
- Ctrl+T is available anywhere the Button Options is visible. A little box appears in the lower left corner, user types in the first three letters of the Option, and OPERA goes directly to it. Instead of Having to Open Options.
- On the billing screen, Shift+F10 is the keyboard equivalent to right click features in billing
- If a hotel has tokenized credit cards, they right click in the profile area of the reservation; there is an option to see the token id- helpful when contacting the credit card merchant.
- F9 activates the drop downs.
- There’s a ‘secret’ button in Miscellaneous-Reports that can easily get you to configuration. To the right of the Report Group section double click and the Setup button appears on the bottom of the Report screen. You can quickly go there to adjust any defaults for reports.
- If support requests that you provide a trace and only if… press Ctrl + Shift and PageDown and then select Trace On, to trace any steps that are causing errors. Don’t forget to use Ctrl+Shift+PageDown >> Trace Off after the error occurs.
- You have OPERA Customer Information System (OCIS) and want a quick way to define a set of profiles? Categorize the top 100 spenders and update them with a keyword – use Profile Distribution option under the profile menu.
- Did you know that OPERA offers multiple types of Rate Configuration?
a. Best Available Rates
i. Best Available Rate by Day – up to 25 Rate Codes per day may be configured for consideration of the Best Available Rate. The Rate Query will return up to 4 Rate Amounts per Room type for the Best Available Rate.
ii. Best Available Rate by Length of Stay – When set to BAR by LOS, the Best Available Rate will be determined based on the Length of Stay. Only one Rate Code per Length of Stay per Day may be created as the Best Available Rate. The Rate Query will only display 1 Rate Amount per Room type as the Best Available Rate.
iii. Best BAR by Day – out of all Best Available Rates only the BEST (lowest available rate for the room type) rate code will display. Also user can setup BAR Based Rate Codes to calculate the Rate Amount based on Best BAR Rate Code’s amount, such as negotiated rates.
b. Daily Rates
i. Allows for a convenient way for properties to respond to the ever- changing supply and demand for rooms and rates. Users can change the rate for a room type on a daily basis. This will allow property and/or CRO rates managers to work with rates on a more detailed level and raise or lower prices on the fly.
c. Dynamic Base Rates
i. This functionality dynamically calculates and displays dependent rate codes during the availability search. When this functionality is used with both regular, static rates and daily rates, and the Compare with Rate Detail check box is selected on the Rate More Tab, the lowest rate per day for either regular static rate or daily rate will be calculated and displayed during availability search.
d. Advanced Dynamic Base Rates
i. This functionality dynamically calculates and displays dependent rate codes during the availability search. The property can set up Advanced Dynamic Base Rate codes based on other rate codes (e.g., Daily Rates rate codes) such that the associated rates are dynamically calculated while checking availability, as with Dynamic Base Rates. Moreover, with Advanced Dynamic Base Rates, rate adjustments (flat or percentage, positive or negative) can be set on the Rate Details level for specific room types and date ranges or seasons. Room types and date ranges can also be specified for periods that do not use an adjustment and that therefore assume the rate appropriate to the base rate being used for the Advanced Dynamic Base Rate rate code.
Find out more about what MICROS can do for you! For more information contact us at email@example.com Phone: 866.287.4736 (US and Canada)